Monday, May 30, 2011

patrick kyle

patrick kyle's stew maker
patrick kyle's shield bearer




















When I first came across Patrick Kyle's work, I didn't quite know how I felt about them. I thought that the color schemes and compositions were amazing, but I think I was most taken aback with how you can discover something new each time you look at them. They are incredibly detailed and yet it's like you're not quite sure what you're looking at. In many ways, they remind of Hokusai's portaryals of Japanese ghost stories.

hokusai's kohada koheiji
hokusai's sara-yashiki




















I can see both the stew maker and the shield bearer having complex back stories just like a traditional Japanese ghost story. For instance, kohada koheiji, which is about a man who is killed by his wife and her lover and as revenge comes to their room every night and peeks over the misquito netting that surrounds their bed. Or sara-yashiki, where a maid is bound and thrown into a well for breaking an expensive set of plates. Pleasant, I know, but extremely interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment