Wednesday, June 6, 2012

got a light?

My first impressions of these photographs were based solely on the fact that they are beautify composed. But as I researched the project a little bit more it became disturbing just how many lighters were found around waterfronts in New York City from August 2010 to May 2011. 1,946 lighters were found from 47 different locations, which were all logged and photographed. You can learn more about the project here and see even more collections of lighters, ranging from as few as one to the 488 found at Bergen Beach seen below.

So many of the products that we use daily are disposable and we think very little about what it going to happen to those items once we've gotten our use out of them. I personally own three disposable lighters because I very rarely use them and when a birthday comes around it's usually easier to pick up a new one than try to find the one I used last year. This is exactly the mentality that I need to change because these small conveniences are not always the best.

488 from bergen beach

19 from plum beach east

16 from summerfield creek













No comments:

Post a Comment